USU STARS! GEAR UP aims to expand the college-going culture in Utah. By using an empowerment model that recognizes the assets and needs of the local communities, USU STARS! GEAR UP looks to shift the state’s education culture. We aim to develop long-term, successful partnerships to support students in reaching and providing them with the resources to succeed in college.
USU STARS! GEAR UP Objectives:
- Increase knowledge of financial aid information to students and parents for postsecondary education.
- Encourage student enrollment in rigorous and challenging curricula to reduce remedial coursework at the postsecondary level.
- Improve the number of students who obtain a high school diploma and enroll in postsecondary education.
How can I get involved in providing a higher education experience for GEAR UP students?
Click here to sign up to receive emails with volunteer opportunities!
Your participation in the USU STARS! GEAR UP is crucial to making our program unique and beneficial to 3,000 students and the generations after them. With your help and partnership, we can get students excited about learning and help them discover their true potential. We can show USU STARS! GEAR UP students that a college experience goes beyond learning in a classroom setting.
As a Utah State University Student we need your help! There are many on-campus volunteer opportunities and chances for you to earn internship or volunteer hours. Some of your responsibilities as a volunteer may include:
- One-to-one mentorships with high school or middle school students
- Leading Campus Tours
- Helping to plan campus events for middle or high school students
- Leading workshops and activities
- Have students “shadow” you for a day
- Meeting with small groups of middle or high school students to discuss college life
- Presentations: On campus or at a school site
- Parent and Student Workshops presenting College Ready Material
- Q & A Panels
Please contact us and see how you can become involved!
|The Power of Volunteering
Don’t ever underestimate the power of volunteer work. It can not only enrich your scholarship application, but it can transform your life!
Volunteering is an opportunity to help other people while also helping yourself. When you volunteer and become involved in community service, you learn a lot about yourself and others, which causes you to grow and become a better person. You are also becoming a better scholarship applicant. Judges love to see applicants who have readily given their time and energy to help other people.
Volunteering gives you a way to demonstrate your leadership skills on applications. As you volunteer, keep a record of the activities you participate in and your hours so you can accurately recall the details when filling out scholarship applications.
Confessions of a Scholarship Winner: The Secrets That Helped Me Win $500,000 in Free Money for College and How you can too!
By: Kristina Ellis